Tuesday 20 May 2014

Lots of things on my mind.


I do like Salvador Dali's art, there's a lot to it. I think this is called Exploding Head?! Its rather beautifully exploding isn't it?

I've been thinking about women and the eternal struggle we seem to face just to be accepted as being equally valuable in this world. The girls in Nigeria, innocent victims in an unfathomable and cruel - I don't know the word to describe what they part of except to say its atrocious and the sad and disappointing sexist remarks from Richard Scudamore and even more sad Premier League verdict (what is funny though is the standard of football played by the England Ladies team is fantastic and great to watch whereas I can't remember the last time I saw a great mens game). Its all been on my mind. I'm quite sure Mrs. Pankhurst and all the other Suffragists would be deeply saddened at how little attitudes have changed. I don't think I'm a feminist but I certainly have my views on the matter. I love Women's Hour on radio 4 and I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in living in our world. A few years ago I found a book by Sandi Toksvig (she makes me laugh a lot) called Girls are Best. It's pink so you can't miss it and it is dedicated to "the work of the womankind charity" - very clever! It is full of the women (many unknown) who invented things, achieved things and contributed to the evolvement of the human race. Its a brilliant reference book to have in the home just to keep a bit of balance.
Unbeaten in qualifying for the World Cup...Girl Power!


The interesting thing about disability is that whether you are a girl or a boy is irrelevant. Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean it is unimportant but it does not predetermine an expectation, the disability does (this is to be considered at a later date as its too important for me to write about without gathering my thoughts more).  As a physiotherapist I was taught that each person is unique and a person in their right. I absolutely believe this and it means that everyone has to have a specific treatment approach especially for them. This week I have given up on mascara (still waiting for samples to arrive) and spent time working towards the same goals with the children in the pool. You wouldn't believe how many different ways there are to get used to water on your face or to blow bubbles! I have employed all sorts of tactics with a range of results, although plenty of laughter and more than a little water everywhere - I even got my hair wet! Yes, thats how dedicated I am to these children (not getting my hair wet is an old joke amongst some of my colleagues and clients, not that I ever found it that funny!). 

Finally, back to football, I played in a football match on friday night. I did. The Mum's took on the oldest girls team at our club and we did ourselves proud. We had several shots at goal and were narrowly defeated 2-1. We were great. And, just to note, the men managers played the oldest boy team and they lost 6-1 - food for thought FA and Premier League. I had 'footballers leg' the day after but its a small price to pay for glory!!

This weeks to do list

  • read
  • write
  • improve IT knowledge
Thank you x 





No comments:

Post a Comment