Tuesday 13 May 2014

Focus


The first thing to say is that I need to do some serious research into waterproof mascara as I forgot how wet you get when working with children in the pool!

The second thing to say is that its worth it! 

Many of the children I am working with have been diagnosed with an 'autistic spectrum disorder'. I am not going to attempt to explain what that means (mainly because I can't) except to say that these children experience the world differently to those of us without that diagnosis. Hearing, vision, touch can all be interpreted in ways that can be so different to what is 'expected' that communication is extremely complicated. Fortunately I am helped and guided by the teaching staff who work so hard to understand their charges, but I would love to be able to find a way of really understanding whats going on in the minds of the children and not to feel so inadequate. I am hoping a smile truly is a sign of happiness - I think it is? 







On the subject of happiness and to the title 'focus', I attended a conference on friday organised by a fellow Physiotherapist, Dr. Heather Epps, entitled Added Value - improving outcomes for children with cerebral palsy and brain injury. It was an excellent day with speakers from the fields of law, science, physiotherapy and education. The problem with attending days like this is that I get so enthusiastic about what everyone else is doing and I really want to do everything they are doing and I don't know what to do first that it all swirls round in my head and I can't focus on anything for days - I could really do with Professor Dumbledore's Pensieve so I can put my thoughts into some sort of order!!



I had the pleasure of meeting Heather and Prof. Vish, a professor in paediatric exercise physiology, both really driven people and very inspiring - they gave me even more to think about!! 

I have now had a few days to think, or at least calm down a bit and I am more focused. I am and have been for a long time, very disappointed with our society's treatment of the children and adults with a disability something the conference confirmed has not changed and neither has my frustration. We seem to be brilliant during and immediately after the birth of a child but as soon as that baby is discharged home from hospital the support available to them and their families is pitifully inadequate. Ethicists must have something so say about the situation surely? There are fantastic professionals out there (therapists, rehabilitation engineers, social workers, teachers, carers, nurses and many others and I include myself in this group) but too few and completely unable to provide the care they know is needed. It is demoralising and insulting as all the research proving 'best practice' is being ignored. What are we doing?! Anyway this is a big question and I can't solve it but what I can do is my best for a few. So having used my virtual pensieve, my initial plans as a self employed physio have been consolidated. Hooray!


So this weeks to do list 
  • sort out new mobile phone contract
  • finish all presentations, profiles and other paperwork I have started
  • investigate access to research papers and set time more time aside to read papers
  • make time to think
  • await free waterproof mascara samples from manufacturers who have read this blog... (you never know!)

Thank you x

PS I have stopped the 'chapters' bit of the title as I got confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment