Tuesday 10 June 2014

Lots of Different People

I have met, talked to and been hostess to lots and lots of people over the last couple of weeks. Whilst I love talking (really? I hear you say), I find it amazing how differently we humans hear and perceive things. One person may take offense to a comment that will be surprising to the commentor, several people will have completely different memories of the same event and depending on the constrains and influences of our own worlds we will interpret the needs of others differently to our peers. 


I am a huge fan of talking to a person face to face. I remember hearing somewhere that most of communication is non-verbal so its not at all surprising that loads of people misunderstand communications on social media, e-mails and texts. The number of times I've re-written e-mails and text messages because I'm trying to make it read right. Seeing someone, or just being in their presence makes it much easier to sense if the persons got the gist of what you are saying. Which is probably why I get together with so many people, I like to be 'got' and I hate being misunderstood!


I also hate conflict and tend to think for a long time about verbally challenging anyone (except my husband who would argue I am a skilled verbal conflictor!). But I also believe that if you come across a problem you have a responsibility to do something about it, not necessarily solve the problem but at least tell someone who can. These two things often clash. I am entering a potentially clashy period at the moment. I am about to work with clients who are looking for more physiotherapy than they can get from the local service. This creates a certain amount of tension from the local therapists - who are fantastic - but because their hands are tied with regards to the input they can offer and they have to be very careful of what they advise with regards to recommending clients seek additional therapy privately can be frustrated with another physio coming along and doing what they would really love to do themselves. I know this because I have had first hand experience, its not only frustrating but can be demoralizing even though, short of resigning, there's nothing you can do. My aim is to avoid bad feelings and conflict by demonstrating sincere respect for my fellow physios probably by talking a lot. Fingers crossed!

Things to do;
  • Speak to my lovely friend who understands blogs and everything to do with this sort of thing so I can do a better job of blogging (I need to as still no sign of waterproof mascara and I going to need more things soon!).
  • Speak to my old mentor at the University of Brighton about library access.
  • And prepare to diffuse any conflicting situations.
Thank you x.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment